About this blog.

My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 24 months. I created this blog to bring meaning to the often-confusing label. Sometimes I have answers. Other times, just more questions.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Brad's Two Year Well-baby Appointment

February 8, 2008

My pediatrician informed me that there's an explosion in diagnoses at the "mild" end of the spectrum. He's treated (as a pediatrician) a few such cases, where the individual is "off the spectrum" in a year or two. He overtly cast skepticism on the treatment, ie services. Would they have grown out of it without services, he asks. We don't know, he says.

Parents of autistics complain that pediatricians are too dismissive of early parental reports of abnormality. Me? I cling to my pediatrician's skepticism like a life-raft.

No comments: