About this blog.

My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 24 months. I created this blog to bring meaning to the often-confusing label. Sometimes I have answers. Other times, just more questions.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Follow-up appointment with developmental pediatrician.

It's been four months since Brad was diagnosed. At the developmental pediatrician's advice, I brought him back for a follow up visit last week. Because Brad's significantly more verbal than he was when he was first diagnosed, I had a fantasy that she was going to un-diagnose him. As I type, I know how ridiculous that sounds, but this blog is a record of my subjective state and not an exercise in reason.

Well of course that didn't happen. The focus of the visit was on the services he's receiving, rather than his progress. The developmental pediatrician wasn't happy that he was just at 12.5 hours. (Of course, I think 12.5 hours is a lot, but I'm new to the game.) She suggested that I lobby for more hours with my specialty provider - the one who admininsters Floortime, except that it's really not Floortime.

I'm not going to do that, but I am going to take a different suggestion of hers - milking my insurance. Brad's covered by Blue Cross, and as luck would have it, the coverage is pretty good. He qualifies for 60 OT and SLP (combined) visits per calendar year. So I have added another hour of OT to Brad's schedule, starting on Monday. I'd like to add another hour of private SLP, although those services are in high demand, so there's a wait.

No comments: