About this blog.

My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 24 months. I created this blog to bring meaning to the often-confusing label. Sometimes I have answers. Other times, just more questions.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Reevaluation

Every three years, the public school system is required to assess Brad, so long as he has an IEP. He was first assessed at three years old when he transitioned from Early Intervention into the public school system. So here we are, three years later and so it is that time again. Bradley is now age 6 and has been placed in regular Kindergarten class with an aide.

According to the school, he is in the average range (47%) for IQ (or Full Scale IQ, whatever that is), the 9th percentile for processing speed, third grade level for reading, seventh grade level for spelling and second grade level for math. The assessment also noted problems with coordination and social pragmatics.

That's kind of it in a nutshell. He's a very uneven kiddo; that's what the metrics show and that's really how he presents. Uneven. I felt a tremendous amount of validation reading his evaluation because I've always suspected his slow processing speed was something that separated him from both his typical and atypical peers. And it is. He's not unintelligent. On the contrary. It just takes him longer to process things.

He qualifies for speech (pull out), occupational therapy (in class), adaptive physical education (pull out), social group and placement in a class with an aide.

This post isn't laced with the emotion of earlier posts, but there's a good reason for that. I'm no longer on that emotional rollercoaster. I have challenges ahead to be sure. But I've learned to take things as they come now.

7 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Hi! You're back! Missed you so much. I'm glad you're feeling less rollercoasterish. And I'm glad Brad is getting what he needs. It's not like that here. Love to you and yours xx

ps 4 years, holy crap you've been blogging a long time. And I've read it all. 4 years of you. And things really have changed for you. You seem much more emotionally strong about Brad.

pps I'm not commenting on the newest post because I can't concentrate on it at all. My brain is falling apart.....

Laura said...

ahem...you've been...er...organizing the jellybeans for that long too. Best wishes to you, E and your brain. :-)

Michelle said...

I am glad you are back! It looks like we might have a re-avluation after only 2 years due to moving state. I am trying to avoid it as the state we are moving to will use progress as a way to cut services.

Kris said...

Glad to see you back! Alex'x biggest challenge is his slow processing speed. It was discovered during his neuropsych exam 2 years ago and affects everything he does.

Brenda Rothman (Mama Be Good) said...

Oh, slow processing speed, how well we know ye. Loved reading you again. Still hate those evaluations.

Liz Ditz said...

Hi there. dyslexic daughter aged 23 also has slow processing speed. Over the years, she's come up with some dandy metaphors:

"My hard drive needs to be defragmented"

"It's like somebody threw the contents of my filing cabinet on the floor"

With the great help of many understanding teachers along the way, she has become a strong self-advocate, and is able to explain to naive professors what the slow processing is all about.

Michelle Kocher said...

my child is also 6. he just had his 3 year eval.
My child sounds a lot like yours. He is entering 5k in sept 2012